Sunday 6 January 2013

Monogram Card


Hello everyone! Sydney is experiencing a heat wave at the moment and conditions throughout Australia are extremely hot! Sadly with that it brings bushfires and also bushfire alerts. Today as I was trying to make my card it was too uncomfortable so I waited until the evening when things became more bearable.
The card I am sharing with you follows the challenge from The Shabby Tea Room. You are asked to create a card or project inspired by the colors in the photo and include a MONOGRAM as your focal point!

At first I struggled with this design. I wanted to incorporate some cross stitch into my card. I started by cross stitching the letter 'C' - it looked great but the elegant swirls did not! So a trip to Bunnings solved this issue. I purchased a chip board letter and then away I went! I wanted my card to have texture. I created the fabric flower in the corner. I cut a strip of linen (about one metre) and I cut scallops across one side. I put a gathering foot onto my machine and gathered the opposite side. Once this was done I had a nice spiral of fabric. I cut a circle of felt and stitched the flower into place. I finished it off by sewing a vintage button into the centre.

Before I started the flower I was working on the 'C'. I painted a layer of gesso onto it. Once dry I inked the edges and then painted it with white paint. Once this had dried I applied a thick coat of crackle medium.


My love affair with die cutting templates followed. I used a few to add to my main flower and then in the top right corner.


My last piece of texture was the burlap border. I love the fringing on it. With some left over linen, I frayed the edges and then layered it with the burlap.


Supplies:

Paper: Prima Romantique, Stampin' Up! whisper white and crumb cake

Ink: Colorbox chestnut roan, Distress ink antique linen

Other: Spellbinders nestabilities classic ovals large and floral ovals, Memory Box Amira flourish and kaleidoscope butterfly, Die-namics vintage flourish, Cheery Lynn fanciful flourish, Stampin' Up! linen thread and very vanilla seam binding, Kaisercraft pearls and white paint, Jo Sonja's crackle medium, Hooked on Craft flowers, burlap border, Francheville vintage scrapbok buttons, Becca's peg bow maker.

Thanks for stopping by!



post signature

6 comments:

  1. So very very lovely! Your monogram is so impressive on how your distressed it! I love the shabby look you achieved! Wonderful burlap and linen trim. And, I truly admire the decorative frame, flower, and butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cathy, your card is so elegant. I love the distressing and the lovely elements that you've used. Gorgeous creation! Happy New Year and thanks for joining us at TSTR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous. Love the tone-on-tone creams. Dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!! This is really gorgeous.. love the soft colors, and yes we are expecting the temps to rise here too this week.. stay cool and safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh WOW - what a work of art! Your details are stunning, as is that fabulous flower. This must have taken you ages to do and your TSTR Top Three win is well-deserved! TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous!My eye is drawn to the "C" and that gorgeous butterfly. Great card! So glad you could play with us at TSTR this week:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I truly appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...